Veteran education benefits are available to eligible full or part-time Cornell students or employees who are active duty or reserve military personnel, veterans, or in some cases, the child or spouse of a veteran. To determine eligibility, complete the online Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990).
Please forward your certification of eligibility letter to a Cornell VA Representative via email, mail, or fax, as soon as possible. You will be certified electronically for your veteran education benefits upon confirmation of your enrollment status. The Cornell VA Representative should be kept aware of any changes to your enrollment.
In August 2014, Governor Cuomo signed NYS law S.6887-A/A.9216-A, which gives in-state tuition rates to students approved and receiving benefits under the GI bill who are enrolled in an institution or educational unit in New York State. In spring 2015, any student receiving veteran education benefits who is enrolled in one of the four contract colleges at Cornell University (Agriculture and Life Sciences, Human Ecology, Industrial and Labor Relations, or Veterinary Medicine) will be assessed in-state tuition.
In-state tuition rates will continue to be assessed as long as:
- Students remain enrolled in one of the four contract colleges in the same degree seeking program for which they are currently receiving benefits.
- Students taking a leave of absence from one of the four contract colleges returns from the leave to the same college by the agreed upon semester.
In-state tuition would be terminated if:
- The veteran education benefits are transferred to another student.
- The student transfers to an endowed college.
- The student graduates from an undergraduate college and then matriculates into the College of Veterinary Medicine. At that time, the in-state tuition rate will be re-evaluated based on the student’s veteran education benefit eligibility.
Please contact the Office of the University Registrar at email@example.com for any questions.
If you have general questions concerning veteran education benefits, please visit their website. Contact a VA benefits counselor for a specific question about a current claim.
If you have specific concerns about your certification at Cornell, contact the Cornell VA Representative via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (607) 255-4232. Veterans eligible under vocational rehab should contact a Cornell VA Representative to find out more.