Veteran education benefits are available to eligible full or part-time Cornell students or employees who are active duty or reserve military personnel, veterans, or in some cases, the child or spouse of a veteran. To determine eligibility, complete the online Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990).
If you will be receiving VA benefits, Financial Aid will need to receive a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. Please submit it to their office via Secure Online Upload or fax to 607-255-6329.
In August 2014, Governor Cuomo signed NYS law S.6887-A/A.9216-A, which gives in-state tuition rates to students approved and receiving benefits under the GI bill who are enrolled in an institution or educational unit in New York State. In spring 2015, any student receiving veteran education benefits who is enrolled in one of the four contract colleges at Cornell University (Agriculture and Life Sciences, Human Ecology, Industrial and Labor Relations, or Veterinary Medicine) will be assessed in-state tuition.
In-state tuition rates will continue to be assessed as long as:
- Students remain enrolled in one of the four contract colleges in the same degree seeking program for which they are currently receiving benefits.
- Students taking a leave of absence from one of the four contract colleges returns from the leave to the same college by the agreed upon semester.
In-state tuition would be terminated if:
- The veteran education benefits are transferred to another student.
- The student transfers to an endowed college.
- The student graduates from an undergraduate college and then matriculates into the College of Veterinary Medicine. At that time, the in-state tuition rate will be re-evaluated based on the student’s veteran education benefit eligibility.
Please contact the Office of the University Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
If you have general questions concerning veteran education benefits, please visit the VA's website. Contact a VA benefits counselor for a specific question about a current claim.
If you have specific concerns about your certification at Cornell, contact the Cornell VA Representative via email email@example.com or phone (607) 255-4232. Veterans eligible under vocational rehab should contact a Cornell VA Representative to find out more.