Veteran Education Benefits

Veteran education benefits are available to eligible full or part-time Cornell students or employees who are active duty or reserve military personnel, veterans, or in some cases, the child or spouse of a veteran. To determine eligibility, complete the online Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990).

If you will be receiving VA benefits, Financial Aid will need to receive a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. Please submit it to their office via Secure Online Upload or fax to 607-255-6329.

In-State Tuition

Effective Fall 2018, any student eligible to receive veteran education benefits who is enrolled in one of the contract colleges or schools at Cornell University (Agriculture and Life Sciences, Human Ecology, Industrial and Labor Relations, Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management, or Veterinary Medicine) will be assessed in-state tuition.

Students must demonstrate their eligibility to receive VA benefits but they are not required to utilize them. This policy applies to veterans who are eligible under their own entitlement for VA benefits and students who are dependents of veterans and have had benefits transferred to their name.

For additional information, please visit Financial Aid's website.

In-state tuition rates will continue to be assessed as long as:

  • Students remain enrolled in one of the four contract colleges in the same degree seeking program for which they are currently receiving benefits.
  • Students taking a leave of absence from one of the four contract colleges returns from the leave to the same college by the agreed upon semester.

In-state tuition would be terminated if:

  • The veteran education benefits are transferred to another student or the benefit expires.
  • The student transfers to an endowed college.
  • The student graduates from an undergraduate college and then matriculates into any graduate or professional program. If the student matriculates into the College of Veterinary Medicine, the in-state tuition rate will be re-evaluated based on the student’s veteran education benefit eligibility.

If you are a student receiving benefits under the G.I. Bill ®, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at if you have questions. All other residency inquiries go to

Additional Resources

If you have general questions concerning veteran education benefits, please visit the VA's website. Contact a VA benefits counselor for a specific question about a current claim.

If you have specific concerns about your certification at Cornell, contact the Cornell VA Representative via email or phone (607) 255-4232. Veterans eligible under vocational rehab should contact a Cornell VA Representative to find out more.