Veterans Benefits FAQ

Veterans Benefits FAQ

Go to the VA application website and follow applicable directions. 

The Office of the University Registrar's webpage details this information. 

During each summer term you should complete the VA Benefits Request form to verify your VA benefit status for the upcoming year. If you do not complete that form, you cannot be certified for the upcoming year. 

Visit the VA eBenefits page to manage several aspects and follow the login instructions. 

Yes. Go to the VA payment history page and follow the login instructions.

Funding can be expected anywhere between 2-5 weeks after certification by Cornell. Cornell certifies tuition after the final drop date of each semester. 

Housing allowances begin the first of the month following the start of classes. Cornell begins certifying courses and credits prior to each semester and well into each semester.

Students who need assistance can request an advance on funding by contacting the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment via email at or by calling 607-255-5145. Funds will be deposited in your bank account 2-3 business days from the date of the application. 

Debt letters are most often created due to changes in credit hours during the semester. Forward all letters to

You can use your stipend to cover any charges that your VA benefits do not cover. 

Beginning summer 2020, the VA does not cover study abroad unless it is required to complete your current academic program.

Students in one of Cornell's four Contract Colleges (Agriculture and Life Sciences, Human Ecology, Industrial and Labor Relations, Veterinary Medicine) do receive the in-state tuition rate when eligible for VA benefits.

Beginning fall 2021, the Chapter 33 does cover regular tuition and fees for study abroad programs. Study abroad fees cannot be paid by the VA unless the study abroad experience is a mandatory requirement for completion of the approved program of education.

Fees are mandatory charges (other than tuition, room, and board) applied by the school for pursuit of an approved program of education. Current Cornell fees covered by the VA are any required course/program fees and the student health plan fee. Fees do not include study abroad fees unless the study abroad experience is a mandatory requirement for completion of the approved program of education. 

For certification questions, contact Cornell's School Certifying Official at

There are two ways you can contact the VA, via the AskVA and via telephone at 1-888-442-4551.