Skip to main content

more options

ID Cards

The Office of the University Registrar is responsible for creating university picture ID cards for the Cornell community. IDs are produced between 8 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

The Cornell University ID card identifies you as a current member of the Cornell community. Depending on your relationship to the university and the services that you sign up for, your ID card may be used for:

  • an electronic door key and to access a variety of functions and facilities on campus-including athletic events,
  • Cornellcard charges,
  • dining units,
  • fitness centers,
  • libraries, and
  • transportation services.

In addition to the magnetic stripe on the back of all ID cards, most cards also contain a microchip and receiver antenna (proximity chip) for authorizing access to proximity access controlled facilities.

Cardholders are responsible for keeping the ID card safe and in good working condition. Hole punching, bending, folding, or otherwise damaging the card, or losing the card by negligence, accident, or theft will result in a $40 replacement fee.

In compliance with New York State legislation 6237-B and Office of the University Registrar policies, social security numbers are no longer printed on ID cards. Anyone who still has a social security number (SSN) on the front of their ID card is asked to exchange their card for one without the SSN. If you bring your ID card which displays your SSN to B7 Day Hall, there will be no charge to replace it.

Read the Cornell University Identification Card Policy.

Student ID Cards

All registered undergraduate, graduate, professional, and Continuing Education students (including summer and winter registrants) must carry a Student ID card. The ID card becomes void upon termination or interruption of enrollment at Cornell. Staff members who are in the employee degree program are not eligible for a Student ID card.

There is a $40 replacement fee for lost, stolen, or damaged Student ID cards. The fee can be paid by cash, check, or charged to the Student's Bursar account.

Faculty/Staff ID Cards

All regular and temporary, benefits eligible faculty and staff members are eligible for a Faculty/Staff ID card. ID cards cannot be issued until the faculty or staff appointment is active in the Human Resources system, which means not before the first day of one's appointment. The ID card becomes void upon termination or interruption of employment.

Affiliate ID Cards

Employees of affiliate organizations that have legally binding affiliate and operating agreements with Cornell University are eligible for an Affiliate ID card. To obtain a card, employees must present proof of employment, such as a letter documenting service, to the Office of the University Registrar. The ID card becomes void upon termination or interruption of employment.

Faculty, Staff, Retiree, Emeritus or Student Spouse/Partner ID Cards

Spouses and registered domestic partners of Cornell faculty, staff, retiree, emeritus and full-time registered students are eligible for a Spouse/Partner ID card.

Spouse/Partner ID Cards of all types may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar, B07 Day Hall, beginning the third week of the semester. Both spouses/partners must be present and the following documentation must be provided:

  • Photo identification for both spouses/partners. Faculty, Staff or Full-time Registered Student must present their valid Cornell ID card at the time of the request and
  • spouse/partner id card request form

A $40 cash or check payment (or bursar charge to the student's Bursar account) is required, upon issuance of the card. A $40 per card replacement fee will be charged for all lost, stolen, or damaged cards. The ID card becomes void upon termination or interruption of the spouse/partner's university enrollment/employment.

Faculty, Staff, Retiree and Emeritus Spouse/Partner ID Cards are also available by appointment from the Human Resources Service Center, 607-255-2899 or Student Spouse/Partner ID Cards are only available from the Office of the University Registrar.

Retiree and Retiree 25 ID Cards

Retired university faculty and staff are eligible for a Retiree ID card. Employees with 25 or more years of service are eligible for a Retiree 25 ID card.

Emeritus and Emeritus 25 ID Cards

Retired faculty and staff members appointed "Emeritus/Emerita" are eligible for an Emeritus ID card.

Contact Information

Office of the University Registrar
B07 Day Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 255-4232

Mon-Fri 8:00-4:15

Email us at: